Room Parent Information
Thank you so much for volunteering to be a Room Parent! It is a very rewarding job.
1st Month of School:
• Meet with Your Teacher- each teacher is different and has unique preferences and requirements.
• Create class directory (if teacher asks)
• Introduce yourself and how to communicate with you best.
• Create a plan for upcoming classroom events and volunteer opportunities.
• If desired, solicit funds up-front for all gifts thru the year. Maximum: $30/family
Schedule Parties and Events:
• Most teachers have party volunteer signups. Get copies of these parties/names/emails.
• 3-4 weeks before holiday, find out from teacher the best day/time.
• Email the parents that signed up the date/time, and let them know it's up to them to plan.
• Check in with the teacher to see if extra help/supplies are needed, and email families to assist.
• Some teachers may have made a classroom directory, or they may ask you to make one.
• If you make one, be sure to get parents’ permission to share with the rest of the class.
• Recognize classroom teacher / student teacher / aides birthdays, winter holidays, and the end of the school year with gifts.
• Always include everyone in the gifts, even if not all families donate toward gifts.
• Communicate with parents what you are doing with money they have donated.
Staff Appreciation Week:
• First week of May
• Each classroom is responsible for their teacher and one or two adopted staff members.
• Organize and coordinate daily tokens of appreciation - Staff appreciation committee will send out an email with a daily theme or schedule.
Staff Favorites List:
• Rather than collecting on a per-item basis, many room parents like to collect funds up-front for gifts throughout the year. This might include teacher bday, winter gift, staff appreciation week gift, and end of the year gift.
Donations are suggested NOT required!
• Remember you can suggest/request, but not require donations.
• All families must be included in gifts, regardless of their participation in donations. Keep good records, and keep families updated about how you are spending the funds they have donated.
• Suggested donation amount: $30/family
Questions? Email email@example.com
We really appreciate your dedication to our terrific Hopi staff! Here’s to a great year!